Differences Between Vedic Astrology and Western Astrology
When an ordinary person develops an interest in astrology, it is more to find out how the science of astrology works. Some people are keen to know their future, and so look out for astrologers who can predict their future. If any of the events foretold come true, they develop some belief in the system and if they don’t come true, the belief does not turn into a strong faith. Astrologers can also tell a lot about the person’s nature, personality and circumstances of life, even without going into the future. This itself can increase the trust that a person can put into astrology.
People now have easy access to information on the internet, and a quick search can bring about thousands of results related to marriage astrology. However, first of all, one should decide which branch of astrology they have decided to follow. They should not mix the two, both are different systems, and there are many reasons to prove that the science of vedic astrology is far greater, detailed and more accurate among the two.
Some of the basic differences a lay person should know are:
- Western astrology originated by the intellectuals in ancient Greece and Rome. Vedic astrology was conceived and practiced by the ancient rishis of India, who were in sync with the Supreme being, and enlightened with the highest knowledge of the cosmos. They were highly advanced in spiritual power, and could perform powerful calculations and make accurate conclusions, which are even know being slowly discovered by astronomers of the west.
- Western astrology is studied based on the orientation of the Earth to the Sun, and applies the “Tropical zodiac”. It “assumes” many things about the position of the sun, which in reality are changing by degrees every year. Hence, calculations are bound to be very inaccurate. It ignores equinoxes etc. There is a chance that if you consider yourself to be a certain sun sign as per western astrology, in reality you are not that at all. Vedic astrology is a study of both astronomy and astrology. They study the same position of the planets as used by astronomers against the background of certain fixed stars. It is called the “sidereal zodiac”.
- Western astrology also includes the influence of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in its analysis. Vedic astrology uses only nine planets - Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn and the two nodes of the Moon called Rahu and Ketu.
- Western astrology can reveal things about one’s nature and personality. Vedic astrology goes far above and beyond covering all areas, phases and events in one’s life with superb detail and precision
- Western astrology does not make any use of the fixed stars or nakshatras whereas Vedic astrology considers 27 lunar constellations or nakshatras. Study of nakshatras and horoscope reveals many things such as an individual’s nature, planetary periods or dashas in one’s life, good times for events, and checking compatibility with other signs.
- Western astrology does not use any planetary time periods in calculations. Vedic astrology makes extensive and primary study of use of planetary periods, called dashas. There are 32 such systems outlined in the ancient texts. Under the most commonly used Vimshottari Dasha system, each of the nine planets is given a particular time span, periods varying from 6 to 20 years, giving a total of 120 years – this is the time when they influence a person’s life. These periods can be divided into more smaller periods to show the planetary influences operating on a particular day!
Therefore, vedic astrology can pinpoint in amazing detail answers to the questions about our relationships, marriage, career, health, personality etc.
Consider the aspect of marriage for instance. Given the accurate birth date, time and location of birth, vedic astrology can make a study of one’ janma kundali to check whether marriage is indicated or not, timing of marriage, nature and duration of the marriage. Kundali matching can be done to check compatibility of two horoscopes, and determine physical, mental, financial and spiritual compatibility, good and bad periods, kind of prosperity and fortune as well as obstacles and miseries.
Vedic astrology is thus a boon for the modern man. Taking its help in even one area of life can bring greater success and satisfaction in life.